On Saturday I invited eight people over for eggnog and charades, and 20 showed up. I was underprepared for the crowd in terms of food, beverage and entertainment, so my hostessing turned into a bit of a clusterfuck.
For future reference:
1. If you bake a wheel of brie cheese at 400 degrees for 2 hours, it turns into a hockey puck.
2. If you put a bottle of spiced rum on the counter next to a pot of apple cider, the rum will be gone long before the cider.
3. Lebanese people love cream cheese.
4. Lebanese people do not love charades.
5. Vegan cupcakes are not nearly as delicious as regular ones, unless you can’t tell the difference because you’re on serious painkillers from a recent knee surgery.
6. If you turn your TV to the Christmas carols channel for musical entertainment, at least one person at the party will call you “gay” and promptly leave.
7. Whiskey and eggnog are only festive prior to entering your body.
Good to know.